Saturday, September 18, 2010

Recent Meals

Here are some recent meals that I've had, that were new, and have increased my enjoyment of food:

Cajun roast beef sandwich - Roast beef often gets overlooked when people are selecting their lunch meats, but it is a great choice. Boar's head has some Cajun roast beef you can buy by the pound that taste great. I took a hoagie roll and put the Cajun roast beef on it and a slice of cheese (folded and broken into 2 triangles) - I like to use a spicy cheese like pepperjack, jalapeno cheddar...but you could go with white American or provolone would be good too. Then the key is to heat the sandwich up...for about 40 seconds in the microwave. Then I put mayonnaise, mustard, Texas Pete, a couple diced jalapenos and maybe some lettuce depending on my mood. This is a great sandwich. I give this one a 9 out of 10, it's awesome.

Blackened fish sandwich - We used talapia for the first sandwich, and catfish the second time. Melted some butter, dipped the fish in it and then covered it in a mix of spices (paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, tony's and pepper) and then put it on a black skillet (medium heat) for 4 minutes on each side. Then I made some homemade tartar sauce (mayo, diced jalapenos, little horseredish, and little garlic powder), put it on a kaiser roll and it was delicious. 8.5 out of 10 on this one.

Shrimp & Grits - My wife made this one so I'm not sure how it all went together but it was grits of course topped with sausage, shrimp, and rice. We put some pepperjack cheese in the grits for some kick...it was quite a taste sensation. And we also used jalapeno cornbread which was really good too. 8 out of 10 for this one.

Fish tacos - I was really excited to make fish tacos because I love to eat them at the Mexican restaurant or other places that serve them. I fried the fish and then put them in a soft tortilla. I mixed a cold slaw (from a bag) with spicy ranch and some chopped onions and put them over the fish. Very tasty. Overall I rate this meal as a 8.5 out of 10,

Crab cakes - I took about 1/3 of a pound of crab meat, about 3/4 of a roll of Ritz type crackers and crumpled them up, a large spoonful of mayonnaise, some green onion, a little bit of mustard and lemon juice, a little garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper and put it all together and shaped it like I would a hamburger patty. Then dip it in a beat egg and cover it with flour and place it in a skillet with vegetable oil in it over medium heat and fry it for 4 minutes on each side. Then I made a sauce using sour cream, garlic powder, onion salt, Tony's, and chives. You can dip it in the sauce of put the sauce on a kaiser roll and make a sandwich. They were delicious. 9 out of 10 for this one.

BBQ Nachos - I was unsure about this when Stacey wanted to make them but I'm a fan now. Instead of taco meat we used pulled pork and it was delicious. It had a different taste than regular nachos, and the BBQ sauce was very good in combination with my jalapenos, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and all the other things that make nachos great. 8 out of 10.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment