Thursday, September 9, 2010

Married

When I was 22 years old I decided it was a good idea for me to get married. Then when I was 23 years old I got married. I was pretty young, but I think it was good decision. I missed out on being a single bachelor, which by all accounts is pretty fun. In fact, I was only out of college for six weeks before I got married. I've thought many times over that I can't imagine not being married, I would hate it. Then again I'm sure the single man says the opposite thing. There are pros and cons to both, and there are some things the guys who told me I was foolish to get married forgot to mention.

Maybe there is two types of social lives, the first are people who want to be going and doing something all the time. The second is the group who likes to stay home and is content with just relaxing. When you're married you can do both, if your in the first group you've always got someone to hang out with you. If your in the second group then you don't have to be alone and you don't have to worry about meeting people or progressing through life socially because you've found what most are looking for.

I don't have to prepare every meal I eat. In fact, I don't hardly prepare any of the meals I eat. My wife likes to make a good meal for us to eat so aside from grilling or making the occasional breakfast, she lets me watch TV while my meal is being prepared!

I am a slob. I don't realize until my wife goes out of town for a few days, I don't clean up after myself, there's food on the counter, I can't find my shoes, I spilled coke on the floor and didn't clean it up for an hour and it's 5 times harder to get up. When she's there I at least make half an effort, if I was single I might be a rolling in my own filth all the time.

I personally can't stand being alone. I just don't like to be by myself for more than an hour. At least have a dog there so I don't have to be alone. But since I'm married my wife is there all the time, so I don't have to be alone. I've always got company and it's not bad company because she is my best friend.

I'm lazy and I don't get excited about any household chores. When you've got a roommate, it's hard to get them to pitch in if you want something done. Having a spouse is better because I hang some stuff, mow the grass, take out the trash, kill some insects, put up the dishes and she'll do her chores and so one of us doesn't have to do them all. I admit, I still don't do that much, my wife is great...but my point is taken.

There's some pressure involved when you're not just looking out for #1, but there's a great feeling involved when you can do your duties as a man and your wife is happy about it.

The most important thing about being married is having a spouse that shares your faith. You can be with someone that helps you out with all the things I've mentioned but none of that will help you grow and become a better person. There are a lot of ups and downs when you're sharing a life with someone...but when you have someone to encourage you and will step out on faith with you, it is a great thing. I think that is the most important thing you can have in a marriage, it is what holds it together and makes it stronger.

Another great thing about being married for me is having someone with me to root for Mississippi State, even though we are not in the Magnolia State anymore we can still pull for the Bulldogs together, especially tonight! Go Dawgs! Cream Auburn!

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment