Saturday, September 11, 2010

One Foot in the Grave, One on the Field

Last weekend I was unable to watch the Mississippi State game on TV because we did not have ESPNU where I was, so I listened on the radio. I don't mind the radio, I like to close my eyes and imagine the play as the announcer calls it...the problem last week was the announcer, Jack Cristil couldn't get anything right and the game was really hard to follow. Jack is over 80 years old, he's been doing State games for over 50 years and he's a legend, but why is he still there when he can barely see the field? It is ridiculous for people to continue doing their jobs for years and years after they reach retirement age, especially when they are in the public eye.

When 59-year-old Bobby Johnson retired from Vanderbilt in July he said he didn't have any intention of being one of those coaches with one foot in the grave and one on the field. I thought that was a great line, and that was my feeling while I was listening to Jack Cristil last Saturday. On at least half the plays he would incorrectly call out a player's name, or misinterpret what happened on the field, or be unsure what to say because he couldn't see it...and Jim Ellis had to step in and politely correct him. Poor Jim has been waiting his turn to be the play-by-play man at State for years but he has to wait on Jack to die first. And right now he's having to side-step and correct Jack's terrible play call. It's pathetic, and I think Mississippi State should fire him, because he is no longer any good. You don't have to keep a legend just because they don't want to retire, especially not an announcer you can't understand.

It took Bobby Bowden forever to finally retire, but at least he was audible even if he was basically just a figurehead. He may have been forced out, but that was probably the right move because you can't keep going with an old man at the helm and uncertainty looming with regards to recruits, coaching staff, etc. for future years. I know Bobby is upset about it, but say there's a company out there who has a salesman who was #1 for 20 years and made the owner a lot of money, and then for the next 10 years they lost their touch, got lazy and tired and let the territory dry up...well is that owner just going to let that salesman cruise on doing mediocre work until he retires just because he had some great years before? I don't think so, he's going to get canned because that owner knows there are sales to be made in that territory and he's going to get someone in there who can do well. The best example of this is Joe Paterno. Penn State has over 100,000 fans at each home game and they are in a talent-rich state but they can't break through to the level they should be at because 84-year-old Paterno can't let go. I know he has held a winning tradition, won national championships, and looked after a great program, but I can't understand him and I know his players can't either. He can barely walk, there's no way he has a connection with his players. He is the shining example of 'one foot in the grave'.

Arlen Specter is an 80-year-old senator from Pennsylvania. Is there any real reason why someone that old should hold public office? I know their seniority is important, but what we don't need is great grandpa passing laws when he can't feed himself. Strom Thurmond was 100 years old before he gave his office up! That is absurd, there should be an age limit of 75 for people to run for office...once you pass that age your mind begins to go and you shouldn't hold such responsibility.

I know that not everyone wants to retire. And I shouldn't say much because one day I might not want to be pushed to the back in favor of a younger generation. But what I do know is that when people get old they don't have a sharp body and mind. I'm not saying they aren't smart anymore, they are smarter and wiser, they just don't need to try and perform with a younger and stronger crowd. The 80 year old coaches and politicians and other public and private people need to step back into an advisory role. Help the younger people make decisions and perform, just don't do the performing.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment