Monday, October 25, 2010

Week Eight

LSU at Auburn: Cam Newton. Enough said. The guy is absolutely incredible. I can't wait to watch him each week. Based on the schedule they have played and the increble athlete he is, Auburn is my new #1 team...and I'm starting to think that if he's healthy by the Iron Bowl they have a great shot to go undefeated and roll into the BCS Title Game.

I didn't think at home vs. UAB was a trap game, and maybe it wasn't...more like a let-down game. But let-down pretty much is the same thing as trap game. Perhaps there should be two different types of upset alerts: trap and let-down. On one hand you have the trap game where you are facing a team who isn't as good but they've got some skilled players who will take advantage of you if you're not alert. Then the let-down game is just coming out lethargic and not playing well at all. That's what happened to Mississippi State this week, luckily a new field goal kicker stepped up with 5 nice kicks. Auburn at Ole Miss next week is a trap game.

I'm 3 for 3 the last 3 weeks on my upset picks for #1 teams, however, I'm missing plenty of other picks like how I picked Air Force over TCU. My Northwestern pick looked great as they were up 17-0, and they had even fumbled inside the 5, but they couldn't hold on. Oh well, I was 3-3 nationally in a big weekend which gave a little bit of clarity to the national picture. Still, I think there are some pretenders in the Top 10 -- Michigan State and Missouri at the top of the list. I am now 28-20 on my predictions on the national games. Pretty awful, although I don't do much research for those games.


I think this week is the first time I've got all the SEC games right, 6-0. I'm 50-12 for the year. Here are my power rankings:

1. Auburn, 8-0 (5-0) - Don't mark the Tigers 11-0 going into the Iron Bowl just yet. Classic trap game in Oxford next week and then at home vs. a surging Georgia team in three weeks.

2. Alabama, 7-1 (4-1) - The Tide easily took care of the Vols and now they've got a week off to heal some injuries and prepare to play at LSU.

3. LSU, 7-1 (4-1) - Even though they gave up over 400 yards rushing to Auburn, I think they proved a lot in that loss. Mostly, that they are an elite team, and their matchup in two weeks vs. Alabama is still a really big game.

4. Mississippi State, 6-2 (2-2) - It was ugly but the Bulldogs are bowl eligible. 4 SEC games to end the season, we'll see if they can make some noise down the stretch.

5. South Carolina, 5-2 (3-2) - They finally won a road win and maintained their position in the driver's seat of the SEC East, they just need to continue taking care of business.

6. Arkansas, 5-2 (2-2) - Ryan Mallett seems to be very injury proned. They've got a difficult stretch down the road, they've got to find a running game so they can milk the clock and hold onto leads in the second half.

7. Georgia, 4-4 (3-3)/Florida, 4-3 (2-3) - These two meet in the world's largest outdoor cocktail party next week for the right to be #7. They've had similar seasons although they are headed in opposite directions. They've both beaten Tennessee and Kenucky and both lost to Mississippi State.

9. Kentucky, 4-4 (1-4) - The Wildcats just can't get over the hump. This is the fifth year in a row they have won all their nonconference games only to struggle in the SEC, but win a couple games including one their non supposed to (South Carolina this year).

10. Ole Miss, 3-4 (1-3) - Those early season upsets are really starting to take their toll in terms of getting bowl eligible. But they've got a shot to make up for those losses by beating Auburn at home next week.

11. Tennessee, 2-5 (0-4)/Vanderbilt, 2-5 (1-3) - Both of these teams are pathetic. Vandy's offense is awful and UT's isn't much better. When these teams meet in a few weeks the score might be 0-0 at the end of regulation.

My Top 5:

1. Auburn, 8-0
2. Boise State, 6-0/Oregon, 7-0
4. TCU, 8-0
5. Alabama, 7-1

Auburn is my #1 because they have played the toughest schedule of all the undefeated teams. Oregon looks like a really awesome team but still they really haven't played anyone other than Stanford. I know it was last season, but Boise State beat Oregon and both those teams pretty much have the same players this year. TCU remains consistant, and Alabama is everybody's top 1-loss team including mine.

Roddy White made 4 or 5 incredible catches Sunday and showed up Chad Johnson and T.O. with over 200 yards. I know I'm a Falcons fan, but they are legit.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment