Thursday, October 21, 2010

Clint Eastwood

There are many actors whose presence in a movie will make you want to watch the film. There are several of these actors for me, but tops on the list is Clint Eastwood. And even though he's pretty much just directing now at 80 years old, he's still putting out great films. He's had a ton of movies over the last 50 years, and I've probably seen 75-80% of them. He has a new movie coming out tomorrow, "Thereafter", and I'm sure it will be good. Over the past three months I've watched many of these again or for the first time so I feel as though this list is accurate and I'm not relying too much on distant memory. Here is the list of my top 25 Clint Eastwood movies (whether director, actor, or both).


25. Every Which Way But Loose (1978) - This is what you'd call a guy's movie, a kind of staple you would've seen on 'Movie for Guys Who Like Movies', back in the day when TBS was the superstation. I think this may be Clint Eastwood's only comedy and it's an entertaining film.

24. Invictus (2009) - I'm not into Rugby and I don't really know what's going on so maybe that contributes to it being this low. It's a good story, and certainly an important one for South Africa.

23. Flags of Our Fathers (2006) - I was really excited to see this film because Clint Eastwood had made a war film but it was a letdown considering my high expectations. The battle scenes were good but from there the story is mediocre and it just was an okay movie.

22. Play Misty For Me (1971) - This film is very dated but it's a pretty good thriller. I don't think it's a very good role for Clint Eastwood (radio D.J.), but it's a pretty good flick. It's the first film he ever directed.

21. Sudden Impact (1983) - This Dirty Harry movie isn't nearly as good as the first two but it's much better than The Enforcer and The Dead Pool. Of course it's got the classic line, "go ahead, make my day".

20. Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil (1997) - This movie has an all-star cast and is pretty good. It's almost like a tribute to the oddness that is Savannah, Georgia as much as a murder mystery.

19. Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970) - You wouldn't think this movie was any good based on it's title but it's pretty entertaining and funny. Eastwood's character and a nun have common interest and travel across Mexico to get what they want from the French Garrison.

18. Heartbreak Ridge (1986) - Eastwood always has a gun but in this is a military movie and I don't think he ever holds a real one. It's got his classic tough guy character; good story, but not for everyone.

17. Pale Rider (1985) - TBS used to show this movie all the time after the Braves game when I was a kid. It's a good movie, nothing too special...just a good western.

16. In The Line of Fire (1993) - Solid movie, very entertaining.

15. Letters From Iwo Jima (2006) - This is the companion piece to Flags of Our Fathers. While I will agree it is better than 'Flags' I didn't think it was so much better to deserve award nominations. Perhaps since the movie is 99% in Japanese I couldn't get into it as much. There is no doubt it is a well made film, but the foreign language doesn't do it for me, which is okay because it was made for Japanese audiences.

14. For a Few Dollars More (1965) - Good movie, good music. More interesting story than Fistful of Dollars but not quite as good as the first movie.

13. Fistful of Dollars (1964) - Great music, it's a little slow but it's classic action scenes when it stuff does happen.

12. Escape From Alcatraz (1979) - This is a great story, with interesting characters. You really don't know much about the characters but that's not important...it keeps you entertained to whole way through.

11. Mystic River (2003) - The story in this one is pretty good, but the supreme acting is what makes it great. It's a good movie.

10. Hang 'Em High (1968) - The music in this film really does a lot to make it dramatic. It's a great movie, very entertaining...in the same mold as the 'Dollars' trilogy.

9. Million Dollar Baby (2004) - This won Best Picture, and it is a really good film. It moves pretty slow but the acting is great and it's a pretty good story.

8. Changling (2008) - This is one of his more recent films that I thought didn't get enough critical acclaim especially considering how his other recent films have. But it's really suspenseful and very good.

7. Dirty Harry (1971)- This is a great movie and of course has the classic line, "I know what you're thinking, did he fire 6 shots or was it only 5? Well to tell you the truth I kind of lost track myself with all this excitement. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?"

6. Gran Torino (2008) - This, like Changling, is a great recent movie from Eastwood that got less notoriety and was better than the movies that were nominated for awards. It is a great film which is entertaining throughout, I highly recommend it.

5. High Plains Drifter (1973) - This is a great western, one that I think gets lost in the shuffle. The town marshal dies and they are being terrorized so they hire a drifter with no name to protect them....awesome movie.

4. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966) - This is the third movie in the 'Dollars trilogy' and probably the most famous and for good reason because it is the best. It's got tons of action, great music and acting. I would have to say it's my favorite pre-1970 film and it holds up well over time.

3. Magnum Force (1973) - Another great Dirty Harry movie. Clint Eastwood is great in this movie, maybe my favorite role of his. I like this one better than the original because it is more entertaining, and a better story.

2. Unforgiven (1992) - This is a great film and I would agree with most people to say it is his best, I just like Josey Wales a little better. It is an absolute must see even if you don't like westerns.

1. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) - This film has everything that makes a great western. It's funny and serious, and very entertaining. I've probably seen it a dozen times and I like it more every time I watch it.


I would say that the Top 9 movies are must see films....you would be hard pressed to find an actor/director who has this caliber of Top 10 movies. Numbers 10-16 are really good movies that are well worth your time. The rest are good to watch if they're on TV, but I wouldn't give great anticipation to watching them.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment