Monday, May 23, 2011

DVR

The DVR, one of the greatest inventions of all-time. Possibly greater than the TV itself. How can you watch TV without...knowing that it's out there? There are many reasons why having a DVR is well worth the $10-15 a month the cable company charges for you to use it.

When it's time to sit down and relax, put up your feet and watch TV don't you want to watch something that you want to watch? Do you want to flip around searching for something or would you rather instantly watch something you enjoy? I would rather watch something I enjoy. With the DVR I can easily do this. I simply record my favorite shows and when I have spare time or down time to watch TV I can watch them. I don't have to get this done, or finish that in order to sit down at a certain time to watch it either. I can watch the show when it's convent for me. So no being bored of being bored flipping around the dial...now with the DVR you can watch something you want to see all the time....provided you're ratio of recorded material to time is correct.

Then there's that Tuesday night when you have somewhere you need to be. Ah, but that's the night of the one and only show you really enjoy watching. That's always been easy, tape it. But then there those two Wednesday night shows that you watch just because you can...but you wouldn't tape them. But now you can just tape it because it's a DVR and it takes 2 seconds. So when down time comes on Thursday night you'll have something to watch.

In my opinion a DVR is critical to watching sports, especially if you're married. On one of my first post, July 27th of last year, I illustrated the proper way to watch sports (especially football) using the DVR. But beyond that there are reasons. For example, if there is a great game on but it's a weeknight...record the end of the game and watch it the next day; if you're one of those who can't watch a recorded game if you know what happens then wake up a little early and fast forward to the good parts and watch without knowing the outcome. During football season I enjoy recording all of the SEC games and watching them back during the week. I find this enjoyable because I didn't get to see all the games since most of them were on at the same time. And no I don't watch every play in real time...I may use the slow fast forward so I see what happened and then watch the exciting part in real time. Either way I catch all the action and make the weekdays college football filled as well. And the reason I say having a DVR for sports viewing is critical if you're married is this: you can record a game, and when you're wife who doesn't care for sports walks in and wants to watch a TV show with you, you can do it without either one of you getting upset. I actually welcome this because if we watch a couple recorded shows while the Braves are on, once I turn the game back on I can skip all the commercials...effectively reducing the game by half.

So there you have it. The DVR was and is a great invention. How can you legitimately watch TV without it?

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment