Monday, November 29, 2010

Week Thirteen

I'm officially going to give up predicting the national games for 2010. I managed to only get one game out of 8 right...and that was Ohio State over Michigan which was a very easy one to pick. So I'll end it with an above .500 record of 37-34, pretty pathetic picking the games straight up.

The Auburn comeback over Alabama was one of the greatest comebacks I've ever seen considering the circumstances. On the road, national championship, bragging rights, everything on the line and they were getting dominated, really it could have been much worse than 24-0 before they final moved the ball on offense. But you have to really hand it to Nick Fairley, he and Antoine Carter kept them in the game until the second half when Cam Newton took over. That game goes to show how important emotion is, Bama was on fire feeding off the crowd in the first half...but they couldn't sustain it after halftime and the crowd exhaled while Auburn crept back into the game.

While I was watching Boise State perform the same collapse Alabama did I was thinking how I could justify a close win to Nevada to keep them in contention. I think it could have been easy to do because Nevada creamed Cal, who only lost to Oregon by two points. But Boise State lost, and I was a little bit disappointed. They certainly can't blame it all on the field goal kicker because they got knocked off the ball on both lines of scrimmage the entire second half. But what I find amazing is that all the people who want a playoff so bad also were happy Boise State lost. Boise State is the exact reason why we might eventually get a playoff, and it's ashame people can't understand that. It's the folks like the Ohio State president who can't stand having Boise State around that are going to vote for a playoff if indeed Boise State or TCU can make it to the title game. They will vote for it because they figure if the little guys can get in anyway, let's give ourselves a chance with a 4 or 8 team playoff. It makes too much sense, but we've got Gary Danielson and Craig James filling everyone's mind up with all this 'they don't play the same schedule', which is just a red herring for the real problem...which is the BCS!

The final score of the Egg Bowl might have only been 31-23 but Mississippi State dominated that game. I really believe that getting six wins, beating Florida, and beating Ole Miss to push their heads a little further under water has really allowed the program to take three steps this year instead of just the one I was hoping for. It's been a great year for State. I was 6-2 on my SEC picks this week, so that's 77-18 on the year. Here's my power rankings:

1. Auburn, 12-0 (8-0) - They are the best, there is do doubt about it. It's amazing they have run the table in the SEC with an average defense but they have won in every way imaginable on the road and at home.

2. Arkansas, 10-2 (6-2) - The Hogs are one of the hottest teams in the country right now. This makes me think an 8-team playoff could work...if there was one this is a team I wouldn't want to face.

3. LSU, 10-2 (6-2) - I cannot believe they finished the season with 10 wins. If you say great coaching job by Les Miles then his shortcomings have made you believe he did a good job. He had some of the best talent in the country, this is the record he should have had...but he was lucky to get it.

4. South Carolina, 9-3 (5-3) - They are playing really well right now. Auburn fans might think it's in the bag, but you know the Ole Ball Coach has got some stuff up his sleeve.

5. Alabama, 9-3 (5-3) - Bama falls all the way to #5... got to do it, they lost to the Gamecocks. This still are a great team, and they should cream whatever Big 12 team is thrown their way in the Cotton Bowl.

6. Mississippi State, 8-4 (4-4) - State did a great job this year of playing consistent football and I believe they are in the Top 12 or 15 teams in the country on a neutral field. I'm sure Chizik will get coach of the year, but he's got Cam Newton and Nick Fairley who have won him all his games, Mullen should be SEC Coach of the Year.

7. Florida, 7-5 (4-4) - This year was an absolute disaster from the first game to the last. Everyone should have realized things would go down losing Dan Mullen, Charlie Strong, and Tim Tebow, but this was a surprise.

8. Georgia, 6-6 (3-5) - They made a bowl, congratulations. Starting the day after the bowl game, Mark Richt is officially on the hot seat.

9. Tennessee, 6-6 (3-5) - What a November comeback for the Vols. I know it wasn't against top competition, but they played really well and Derek Dooley should get some votes for coach of the year.

10. Kentucky, 6-6 (2-6) - How do they lose to UT again? I don't know about their program. They've got a bunch of playmakers, they can hang with almost anybody, but they can't get any better than making it to a lower-tier bowl.

11. Ole Miss, 4-8 (1-7) - This was a rebuilding year for Ole Miss, their problem is that they couldn't recognize it. Jerimiah Masoli completely backfired in their face from the first game of the season. Tyrone Nix should be fired.

12. Vanderbilt, 2-10 (1-7) - I'm surprised Robbie Caldwell resigned before the last game. I thought he was doing a decent job. I'm not sure what direction they go from here. I think they need to re-evaluate and hire an athletic director.

My Top 5:

1. Auburn, 12-0
2. Oregon, 11-0
3. TCU, 12-0
4. Stanford, 11-1
5. Wisconsin, 11-1

Wisconsin is a solid team, them and Arkansas might be the hottest teams in the country right now. I think TCU vs. Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl would be a great game, and I hope TCU torches them. I wonder what the Ohio State president would say then, especially since his team lost to Wisconsin. And I hope Ohio State plays Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl and they get torched as well. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out, but it looks like there will be some great BCS games.

The Falcons are 9-2. Matt Ryan is 19-1 career at home. They look really good. I don't see them losing more than one game down the stretch.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment