Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thoughts on the NFL II

I am probably more interested in the NFL right now than I have been in four or five years. And that is surprising because Mississippi State is 7-4. I'm still not interested enough to watch games around the league but I've got greater anticipation when the Falcons are about to play. The birds are enjoying quite a start to the season at 7-2 and maybe people around the country are starting to take notice. If Matt Ryan and Roddy White (MVP candidate) can stay healthy I think they can get home field advantage throughout...their remaining schedule is pretty weak.

The last time I gave some thoughts on the NFL (after week 4) I said I thought the Steelers were the favorite to win the Superbowl. They are still in contention at 6-3 but I don't know if they are the favorite anymore. Really, I don't think anyone is the favorite like it was last year with the Saints and Colts. I would say there is nine teams in contention for the Superbowl right now: Jets, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Saints, Falcons, Giants, and Eagles.

To me there is no doubt the most dangerous team in the NFL is the Eagles. Who knows what Micheal Vick could do you? That is what I loved about Vick when he played for the Falcons from '02-'04. He was like Cam Newton is for Auburn right now, but you could replace Newton's physicality with Vick's pure speed. But 3rd and short or even 3rd and long he could break a run that turned the game around. It's too bad he wasn't focused because just as he was becoming a better player his attitude changed and he became a thug in '05 and '06 and his game and the Falcons record dropped off. But right now he is the player we all knew he could be if he put his mind to it. I'm glad the Falcons have Matt Ryan though, no ill feelings towards Vick...but if he beats Atlanta in the playoffs I will not be happy about it.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment