Monday, November 8, 2010

Week Ten

Les Miles is unbelievable. Just when you think he's called too many trick plays, or that he can't possibly convert another fake punt, he does it and it works. In fact, beyond all logic and understanding he has LSU sitting at 8-1 and with three games to go they've got an outside shot at the National Title Game. I am shocked to be honest.

I will make the assumption that South Carolina didn't play with much effort vs. Arkansas knowing they had already earned a SEC Championship play-in next week at Florida. I hope for them that was the case because that was a beat down. Arkansas did finally find a running game and they will be a force down the stretch, luckily for Auburn they have already beaten the Hogs. I thought before the year that USC would lose this game because of the look-ahead, but yet I changed my pick on Friday. Maybe I should just stick with my preseason picks.

The SEC West is the best thing going in college football right now. You are looking at 5 teams ranked the Top 17 of the AP poll...that is amazing, way better than the 2008 Big 12 South. And so for Auburn to have the chance to clinch the division with one game remaining I think that should mean they are #1. There really is no debate. It doesn't really matter, but they should be #1. Thanks to all the horrible competition some of the teams played I made it to a 6-2 record in the SEC this week, losing the only two games that were really in doubt. So that's 61-15 this year. I went 2-0 nationally, makes it 34-22 for the year. Here are my power rankings.

1. Auburn, 10-0 (6-0) - They get better every week. Next week vs. Georgia is a chance to lock up the West.

2. LSU, 8-1 (5-1) - As much as I tried to hold them back they have acended to the top.

3. Alabama, 7-2 (4-2) - Now that pretty much all of their goals have been dashed, how will they respond? I know they will be ready for the Iron Bowl, but how about next week against a Mississippi State team with the same record.

4. Mississippi State, 7-2 (3-2) - That's right, the same record as mighty Alabama. Now the fight for #3 in Tuscaloosa next week.

5. Arkansas, 7-2 (4-2) - I'm to #5 and no SEC East teams yet, just goes to show you how good the West is this year. They looked like a complete team at South Carolina. UTEP next week, then two big games at MSU and vs. LSU to end the season.

6. South Carolina, 6-3 (4-3) - If the Gamecocks were ever going to win the East this is going to have to be the year. I'm not sure a 3 loss team will ever again be able to play their way into the Championship Game.

7. Florida, 6-3 (4-3) - They've beaten Georgia and creamed Vandy, I'm not sure if they are back but despite all the bad play they have had just enough to make it a huge game next week vs. South Carolina.

8. Georgia, 5-5 (3-4) - It's going to be a close call in terms of bowl eligibility this year for the Dawgs. I don't know if they can do it, they have a huge hill to climb next week at Auburn.

9. Kentucky, 5-5 (1-5) - They did it again, 4 non-conference wins. Now a win next week vs. Vandy and they're bowl eligible again.

10. Ole Miss, 4-5 (1-4) - Not a very impressive showing vs. ULALA, but they got the win and now need 2 out of 3 down the stretch. Next week at Tennessee is huge for them.

10. Tennessee, 3-6 (0-5) - Nice win at Memphis, I'm sure it was nice to get that losing monkey off their back. But there's another monkey on the other shoulder that stands for they are still the only SEC team without a conference win. Great chance at home vs. Ole Miss to get one next week...battle for #10.

12. Vanderbilt, 2-7 (1-5) - It's getting pretty bad to watch. What I thought was a hard-fighting team in September has turned into an awful team. I'm afraid Robbie Caldwell's future is very much in doubt.

My Top 5:

1. Auburn, 10-0
2. Oregon, 9-0
3. Boise State, 8-0
4. TCU, 10-0
5. LSU, 8-1/Stanford, 8-1

There is just a thin sheet of paper seperating TCU and Boise and last year's Fiesta Bowl is written on it. TCU's performance at Utah was quite impressive. But by the same token Boise State's performace vs. Hawaii was pretty impressive too. I'm staring at that Top 5 and wondering about a 4-team playoff. And then I'm looking at LSU and Stanford who have won all their games except LSU lost at #1 Auburn and Stanford lost at #2 Oregon. So part of me wonders if they would be #1 and #2 if they had played those games at home, and perhaps they could be included in a 6 or 8 team playoff that would be quite exciting. But, of course, there are still 3 weeks of regular season football remaining and a lot is still to be determined. But I like that Top 5/6, those are some solid teams.

Even after a close loss last night the Hawks are 6-1, the best record in the Eastern Conference. Good start for my team.

Last night I had a chicken sandwich that was very good. I covered the chicken in homemade Chick-Fil-A sauce (honey mustard & BBQ sauce) and then put sliced avacados over it, and a little mayo on a kaiser roll. Very good.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment