Friday, August 20, 2010

Best & Worst Sports Personalities

THE BEST

Erik Kasilias - Kasilias is a former lawyer and a member of Mensa. What he's doing on ESPN I don't know. I've never heard him pause to think or say "um" or "ah" between thoughts. It's amazing how he puts together complete thoughts on the fly, he never messes up. Plus he pretty much views everything the way I do, so I love this guy!

Chris Fowler - Fowler is good. He really makes College Gameday what it is. He is serious when the time calls for it and he goofs around too. He's a solid host, and he's pretty good on Thursday Night Football as well.

Colin Cowherd - When you listen to his radio show you almost don't want to like him. He's very arrogant and he states his opinions like they are fact. But yet, you keep listening. He is a master at his craft, without a doubt the 'most talented' sports-talk radio show host in the country. He has great timing, and is right most of the time. It's hard to argue with just how compelling he is by drawing you in and keeping you listening, and he does this by himself for 4 hours a day.

Jim Rome - I'm not sure if anyone ever watches Rome Is Burning since it's on at about 3:30 but it's pretty good. I might catch it 5 times a year, but I'm always entertained. Rome is definitely arrogant but he has pretty good opinions...he comes hard with them and he's taken into consideration both sides of the argument, so he's not just spouting opinions that have no practicality.

Rece Davis - Rece Davis is excellent, just as good as Chris Fowler. He does a great job with college football and basketball. No Saturday night or early Sunday morning is complete without some College Football Final.

Mike Wilbon - Somehow Wilbon seems to bring any controversy back to race, but I might do the same if I was black so I'll just ignore it. Other than that he is pretty entertaining and PTI is probably the best sports debate show on TV. Why he is an analyst for the NBA I don't know, I value his NBA opinion about as much as I do mine...which isn't much.

Lou Holtz - Some people don't like Lou, he's old and he has a lisp. But I love ole Lou, you just have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. He's just throwing out some crazy opinions to piss Mark May off I think. You've got to love his halftime speeches on Thursday Night Football...great TV.

Skip Bayless - Some people may not know who Skip Bayless is because he's on TV during the weekdays when people are at work. He debates a revolving door of people on ESPN First Take (1st & 10). He is fairly arrogant and looks like a cartoon character, but he does have well thought out opinions and he comes hard. He is right almost always when it comes to the NBA...even if I don't care much about the NBA I'll still give him credit for some decent opinions.

Lee Corso - He's like Lou Holtz except in no way does he have the credentials to be an analyst. Luckily for him he got in on the ground floor of College Gameday. I laugh every time when he puts on a mascot head.


THE WORST

Dan Patrick - I think Dan Patrick bows to a picture of himself every night. He went from a goofy Sportscenter host to thinking he was reporting the evening news. His radio show was awful, just him being ultra-serious about sports trying to break stories. Now he's got his ridiculous self on NBC for Football Night in America....an upscale and crappy version of NFL Primetime.

Mike Greenberg - Greenberg is the definition of a wimp. I listen to Mike & Mike sometimes on my way to work and he's constantly illustrating how he lacks the qualities that make a man. He doesn't have bad opinions necessarily, but he's very prone to hyperbole and he lives and dies with professional sports. I think he loses sleep at night afraid there won't be an NFL season in 2011.

Tim Brando - On TV, Brando is goofy as the host of College Football Today on CBS. On the radio is much more opinionated. I don't think he's too bad even though he thinks he knows everything. His opinions are just ok. What gets to me is the "dubbed by your truly as the riverboat gambler" or "the term I've coined....flies in the ointment" comments he likes to make. I really don't care for the self-promotion...keep the focus on sports.

John Kruk - Kruk always acts pissed off that he is asked a question. It's as if he thinks Karl Ravach asked him the question just so he'd have to waste his breath. Look, you're an analyst, you're supposed to talk about sports. How he got his ugly mug on TV is beyond me...for that matter why are there any baseball analyst, what is the point?

Stuart Scott - After listening to this aging hipster for over a decade I think I can speak for everyone by saying, please don't let him on TV again. We've been revived of his terrible Sportcenter highlight reel calls, but he's still hosting NBA & NFL coverage. He can't look into the camera because he's got a hideous lazy eye and glasses that make it even worse. Can't stand him.

Digger Phelps - So Digger took Notre Dame to one Final Four in the 70s and he gets to be an analyst? It must have been luck because I don't know what he's talking about when he starts rambling about college basketball. Not to mention the terrible tie/highlighter matching...only he could come up with something so silly. Then he puts more effort into shaking his hand (with highlighter) at the camera than giving good analysis.

Steven A. Smith - Maybe black folks like this guy but I certainly don't know any white people who do. The reason I say that is he's always bring race into everything. He seems to have a lot less face time on ESPN now and I'm happy about that. He comes hard with really dumb opinions.

Well, that's it. No more best and worst in sports TV. That is number 4 of 4. Now let the real sports season begin...football, can't wait.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment