Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Falcons

This NFL postseason I was rooting for the Falcons and the Broncos. The Falcons because they are my hometown team, and have always been my favorite. The Broncos because I am a big Tim Tebow fan. The birds were a massive disappointment, the horses surpassed expectations.

The biggest difference I saw between the two was the Broncos were throwing hay-makers at the Steelers, the Falcons were throwing jabs at the Giants. Maybe it's because Denver had nothing to lose really. The Falcons were either playing tight or they choked.

I really like Matt Ryan and I think he is a very good quarterback. I'm not sure he'll get to the level of Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers but few ever do, very few. But he is good enough to win a Superbowl. A lot of people in Atlanta a ready to throw in the towel on Ryan because he hasn't performed well in playoffs games. But I don't agree with that.

My viewpoint is that there are only 3-5 QBs at a time in the NFL that are so good they can lead you to the Superbowl on their shoulders. Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees...those are the kind of guys I'm talking about. For the rest of the teams, you've got to find an adequate QB who can manage the game, make a few throws, play well in crunch time and then focus on defense and the running game.

After four years I think we've seen what Matt Ryan is capable of. He may grow by leaps and bounds like Drew Brees did, but he may not. The Falcons need to shift the focus to defense and start building a team that isn't focused on explosive offense but efficient offense and solid defense.


JB

No comments:

Post a Comment