Thursday, October 20, 2011

This Week's Broncos Game

Ordinarily, I couldn't care less about the Broncos. But since Tim Tebow has been named the starting quarterback I am very interested to see what happens. I hope he does well, if you want to know why you can read my post from August 16, 2010.

It seems like every writer, commentator, or supposed NFL expert says there is no way Tim Tebow will succeed in the NFL. The only person I've seen who supports him is Skip Bayless. But why is everyone so animatedly against him? I know 90% of the people on TV talking about him haven't seen any more of him than I have...which is when he plays on the field. And when he plays on the field he is pretty good...35-6 as the starting quarterback at Florida including a National Championship and Heisman Trophy. 1-2 in three starts as a rookie last year, 50% completion, 654 yards, 5 TDs and 3 INTs. No, those aren't incredible stats like Cam Newton is producing, but the way people talk about Tebow you'd think he had 0 TDs and 15 INTs in 20 attempts.

I've heard reporters say Bronco's players tell them Tebow is so awful in practice that drills take twice as long to complete. Well, that has got to be an exaggeration. I mean, for real? You're saying he basically looks like a high school player in practice, then goes into a real game and competes in the NFL? I guess if it's true then Tebow is the ultimate 'gamer'. But seeing as how Kyle Orton is hitting on 58% of his passes, averaging 195 YPG, with 8 TDs and 7 INTs, can't Tebow at least hit that mark? Especially since Orton makes four times what Tebow does, why is this even a debate?

It's amazing to me that people say Tim Tebow can't play. I'm betting that he can. People also say Vince Young can't play...even though his career NFL record is 32-17. Maybe it's because he is a vocal Christian, and people think insulting and abusing Christians is fun. I don't know, but the non-stop criticism of him as a player is ridiculous. I am really looking forward to this week's Bronco's game. I hope Tebow plays great and begins a march that last the rest of the year to shut all the skeptics up.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment