Monday, July 18, 2011

Pay for Play in College Football 2

I would like to change my stance a little with regards to my April 28th post.

I still think that paying elite players a portion of the profits made from their jersey sales while they are in school is a good idea. But with regards to saying other football players should just stick to a scholarship, I have changed my mind a little bit.

I think each player should get $500/month more than any other athlete on campus. There is Title IX, but here is how I argue that. College football players are public figures. If they make a mistake, it is played out on radio and TV. I think that takes some of the 'amateur' out of what they are doing. Add to the fact that college football provides money to all the other sports, allowing them to have scholarships, and to make all that money football players basically have a full-time, year-round job. So I think Title IX should be waived in this instance.

If you pay 85 players $500 per month for 12 months, that is $510,000...I think that is affordable. I also think walk-ons should receive that same benefit. So that's probably another $50-75K. I think this is a good solution, and maybe it would stop some cheating as well.


JB

No comments:

Post a Comment