Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Student's Game

I have fond memories of being in college and going to the Hump....for Hoops. In 2004, Mississippi State went 25-2 and reached the Top 5 going into the SEC Tournament. It all fell apart from there but that regular season was really fun for me and my friends. We went to every game and got there a couple hours early to get the best seats. We eagerly anticipated the revealing of the Top 25 on the 5 p.m. edition of Sportcenter every Monday. That is the year I had the greatest excitement for college basketball, but every other year I also enjoyed very much.

There is no doubt that a basketball game is much more fun to attend then to watch on TV. Being a student you can go to every home game, and maybe make a couple road trips to see an away game. As an alumni, college basketball just isn't as exciting. Sure, I still root my team on, but it's just not the same as it was. Football is a different story, it hasn't lost one bit of it's luster.

All I'm saying is that college basketball is a student's game. It's more fun when you are on campus to enjoy the season. Basketball is a home-court sport and the students make tons of noise which does have an impact on the game. Even going back as an alumni the games weren't the same as it was in college. It's sad to me that that fun time has passed but recognizing that it's a student's game helps me leave those days behind. Now I can watch the games without feeling like a fairweather fan because I don't care as much as I used to.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment