Friday, February 11, 2011

Songs, the Soundtrack to Life

One of the things I like about music is the memories a song can bring back to you when you hear it. If I heard a song today that came out five years ago and was played pretty often back then, I am likely to remember either where I was when I first realized I enjoy the song, or the time period in which I heard the song frequently. That's the thing about certain songs, you may not really love the song as much as the memories the conger up.

Maybe thats why music videos have pretty much died out. If you hear a song 10 times you have a view of it in your head, or maybe you are developing the memory that will be there when you hear the song in the future, but when you see the video it disrupts that view you had. It hinders the imagination.

I think everyone has some songs that when you hear them, you immediately think back to a specific time and place, an enjoyable memory. There maybe songs that remind you of someone, maybe some that remind you of a period of time in your life. Sometimes I'll put in an album on a road trip just to take me back to the time when I listened to that album over and over and over again.

It makes me wonder, if rock and roll had never come into popular culture and musically we lived as it were in the 1800s, would we still be able to conger up those memories. I have to say that without hearing certain songs that remind me of those times I don't know how much I reflect on anything specific. I have memories, and I remember the past, but I don't think I would intentionally pull out that file in my mind to think of a specific time...the way a song would bring back that memory.

So I think it's great how songs work as a soundtrack to life. They lend themselves to bringing back memories, different ones for everyone. Where you first heard it, or when, or when you were having fun and the song was playing.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment