Thursday, July 29, 2010

The 80s - Music & Movies

The 80s were great, too bad I was born in the 80s so I don't really remember them. Were the 80s campy and materialistic, probably. But maybe that's what made them so cool. Or maybe what makes it cool was the fact that I didn't really live through it (wasn't 12+ years old) so I only see what I perceive to be cool. Oh well, I love getting a hold of a 80s movie I've never seen and I love listening to music from the 80s I've never heard. Am I a dork for coming up with this? Oh, without a doubt.

Music

When you say 80s music, it starts with New Wave for me. No doubt, one of the greatest genres of music to ever come about if only because when a New Wave song comes on, you immediately point to the 1980s. From there, there's some good stuff but it's not that memorable, I could probably put 2 or 3 songs outside of New Wave on a Top 10, but for this I'm just going to stick to New Wave. Here's my Top 10 songs from the 80s:

1. "True" by Spandou Ballet
2. "Drive" by The Cars
3. "I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight" by Cutting Crew
4. "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds
5. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears
6. "Take On Me" by A-HA
7. "Forever Young" by Alphaville
8. "The Reflex" by Duran Duran
9. "Head Over Heals" by Tears for Fears
10. "Always Something There to Remind Me" by Naked Eyes

Honorable Mention: "Hold Me Now" by Thompson Twins

Great songs from other genres:

"Africa" by Toto
"Will You Still Love Me" by Chicago
"Stuck with You" by Huey Lewis & The News
"My Home's in Alabama" by Alabama
"Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen
"Out of Touch" by Hall & Oates
"Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughn


Movies

What can I say about 80s movies, I love them! Are they cheesy? Well, that's a derogatory term for most people but I love cheese so I say bring on the cheesy. Here's my Top 10:

1. Back to the Future
2. Top Gun
3. Breakfast Club
4. Secret of My Success
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
6. Cocktail
7. Bull Durham
8. Risky Business
9. Can't Buy Me Love
10. Big

Honorable Mentions:

The Karate Kid
National Lampoon's Vacation

Not so cheesy:
Die Hard
Rain Man


The 80s were great. That's all there is to it.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment