Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Georgia Bulldogs





7-5 (5-3)

Week 1: September 3rd vs. Boise State - This game is just tough to call. I don't know where to go. The game will be played in the Georgia Dome, which is obviously Georgia's backyard and this is very similar to what Boise did last year when they beat Virginia Tech. I think Georgia is over-rated this year, but they will have plenty of motivation heading into this game vs. a Top 10 team. Boise State has 14 returning starters and one of the best defensive lines in the country...if UGA can't makes strides in their offensive line they will have major trouble getting Crowell going in this game. I don't like Georgia, but I do like Mark Richt...I don't want him to lose his job so I want him to win this game as bad as I hate Georgia. But I'm picking Boise State...they've been there before and I think they do it again with pressure on the QB and stuffing the run.

Week 2: September 10th vs. South Carolina - A lot of people are comparing Isiah Crowell to Marcus Lattimore, at least hoping his has the same impact, but I don't know if he can be that good. Lattimore made a name for himself in this game last year, and he was able to do so by running the ball all game long, I'm not sure Crowell can handle that kind of load, and with Ealey and King gone he will need to for UGA to be successful in this game. Even though this game is in Athens, South Carolina's defense will be ready to play, and the D-line should swarm the Dawgs young backfield. If the Georgia O-line can hold them off for Murrey to make some throws then the game could come down to the wire as it usually does. But I see Carolina winning by a couple touchdowns.

Week 3: September 17th vs. Coastal Carolina - If my predictions are accurate, UGA is 0-2 and all their fans are jumping out of Atlanta high-rises. But their schedule is so light the season is not over and hopefully they won't have fired Mark Richt during game week. They win this one going away.

Week 4: September 24th at Ole Miss - This is a big time game for both of these coaches. There is a chance Ole Miss is 3-0 and maybe even Georgia is 3-0 or 2-1 and the pressure is off both of them but I have a feeling they will both be uncomfortable as far as job security coming into the game. I think UGA will win the battle up front with their O-line being able to perform well against Ole Miss' D-line, and the Dawgs defensive line should be good enough to keep Ole Miss' and their O-line and backfield from running all over the place. Ole Miss QB situation will be interesting, UGA does have some talented DBs who could force some turnovers if the Rebs have to start throwing a lot. I think this will be a close game but Georgia pulls it out.

Week 5: October 1st vs. Mississippi State - This game looks to be very evenly matched. Even though I have MSU's QB unit listed 2nd, behind UGA, that has a lot to do with a competent backup...so I think Aaron Murrey's talent is a solid advantage for Georgia, especially at home. MSU has a more proven backfield, but if Crowell lives up to expectations there is not much of an advantage either way as I rate both team's O-line, D-line and linebackers very closely. It's hard to see any mismatches for either team here and that should make for a very good game. This game being in Athens is a big deal for Georgia, and their emotional state will play a big role. If they start 0-2, will they bounce back and make a run behind Richt, or fold? If they start 1-1 or 2-0 where will their heads be in this one, a week before playing Tennessee? Will all else even, I'm going with the home team, UGA, to avenge their loss in Starkville last year.

Week 6: October 8th at Tennessee - I think this will be a very good game. Derek Dooley has not had a signature win at UT and this has a chance to be it. I think the cards stack will for Tennessee going into this game as they have an off week, Buffalo, then this game at home. UGA will be coming off must win games at Ole Miss and vs. MSU. Tennessee needs a big win vs. Georgia and I think they get it done here.

Week 7: October 15th at Vanderbilt - This is the 3rd SEC road game in four weeks, but I think that could be an advantage for Georgia having been in the routine of traveling. As always, Georgia will be coming in with bigger and better athletes, but how will they be mentally? I think this is a pretty fair matchup, I've got Georgia rated only slightly higher than Vandy in most of the units, with the exception being QB where UGA has a distinct advantage. In the end, it's hard to pick against Georgia, they should win the game, so I predict they will.

Week 8: Bye - This is a good week for a bye going into the cocktail party. They have a manageable schedule down the stretch and should still be in contention for the East.

Week 9: October 29th vs. Florida - Let's face it, Georgia has a mental block against Florida. I can't pick UGA to win this game.

Week 10: November 5th vs. New Mexico State - NM St. has 16 starters back, but they are awful. UGA should win this easy and have plenty of time to prepare for Auburn.

Week 11: November 12th vs. Auburn - It's hard to gauge where a team who has so much youth going into the season will be at this point of the season, and that is a factor for both of these teams. But as I see it right now, Georgia has Aaron Murrey and some play makers on offense that should be able to move the ball against a less than stellar Auburn defense. The game is in Athens, and I'm picking UGA.

Week 12: November 19th vs. Kentucky - I think this will be a pretty good game. Georgia should match up pretty well and Aaron Murrey should be able to throw for some yardage here. I'll pick Georgia at home.

Week 13: November 26th at Georgia Tech - This will be UGA's first game in an opponent's home stadium since Week 7. But, Tech's fan base is sketchy so the stadium will probably be 40% UGA. Georgia Tech has 12 starters back and they just got put on probation. They really want to win this game, and the outcome of it could seal Mark Richt's fate. The previous four weeks GT has an open date, VA Tech on a Thursday night, Duke, and then Georgia. So I think they will be healthy and prepared for this one, and they squeeze out a victory.


JB

No comments:

Post a Comment