Monday, September 23, 2013

Why Don't BBQ Makers Put the Sauce on the Pork when they Serve it?

This past Friday my wife wanted BBQ. It sounded good so naturally I was all for it. We went to a new place that just opened up and it was really good. And of course I ordered too much pulled pork so I had plenty of leftovers for lunch on Saturday and Sunday.

Well, sure enough, we go to a wedding on Saturday and they serve BBQ for dinner. BBQ and only BBQ. So since we had eaten the leftovers for lunch that day it was 3 straight meals of BBQ, which wasn't bad - I love BBQ.

But every time I had to put the sauce on myself, and I wondered: why don't BBQ makers put the sauce on for you?

I've never tried to smoke by own pork shoulder so I don't know. But I do really really enjoy a good steak and if I have a good cut of beef or I seasoned and cooked it to perfection and someone douses it in A-1 I want to strangle them. Are BBQ chefs the same way? I would think so right? They spend all this time injecting the pork with this, seasoning it with that, smoking it for ___ hours all for the perfect taste. Then they come up with their signature sauce....but they don't put the sauce on it for you.

Pork is a different animal from a steak. A good steak shouldn't need any sauces. But pork does, if for nothing else to add some moisture to it. So these guys make their own sauce - like the guys I baught from on Friday night, they had a North Carolina style and Memphis style sauce. Still, you don't want someone to go crazy on the sauce and mask the flavor of that pork you worked so hard for, right?

Why don't BBQ chefs blend in what they believe to be just the right amount of sauce to enhance the flavor of their meats when they serve it? Why leave so much up to the consumer who may use too much or not enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment