Saturday, August 24, 2013

Changes I Would Like to Make to College Football

There is something I've been advocating for several years, and that's a preseason college football game. I'd like to do away with the FCS game pretty much every team plays, and make it into an optional preseason game. I would've played it today, the Saturday before the traditional first weekend of the year - Labor Day weekend. If you win the game it counts towards your record. But you have to reach seven wins to get to a bowl, so 7-6 if you play the preseason game, 7-5 if you don't. I'm sure everyone would schedule the game because it would most likely sell out, providing more money, and of course some live action for the start of the year.

The next thing I'd do is branch off from the NCAA and create some type of College Football Association that only includes the power 5 conferences, and about 70-75 teams. And I'd play 10 conference games to create exciting games every weekend. For the other two I'd play a homecoming game against the lower division - which would essentially be what is now the Sun Belt/MAC/WAC, etc., and then a rotating game vs. another 'CFA' conference school for the opening weekend. It would be something cool that people would look forward to. Every year each conference would be slotted to play another conference; for example SEC #3 vs. PAC 12 #3, Big 12 #2 vs. Big Ten #2, etc. from the previous year. It would make for interesting one time only matchups.

And finally, an 8 team playoff. I do like the new 4-team, but as a fan the thought of a Saturday in December with 4 playoff games in it is too much to pass up. It would be awesome. And the way I'd do it is just create a formula or selection committee to pick the top 8 teams regardless of conference. The first round would be played on campus, and if you were in the top 8 and also won your conference you get to host - so that is the reward for a conference championship. From the semifinals on I'd just play it out like they are planning to with the 4-team playoff.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment