Saturday, August 11, 2012

No More Croom Day

The fall of 2008 was pretty much an awful time. The economy collapsed, Barack Obama was elected president, Ole Miss had a really good year and Mississippi State went back in the tank at 4-8.

But there was one good day: November 29, 2008. A day that I shall now remember as 'No More Croom Day'. The day he was fired.

I never really hated Coach Croom like so many people did. He wasn't a very good football coach but in the end he did leave MSU in a better place than he found it...in a position to succeed under another coach.

I always thought he was a good man, just not a good football coach. But since he gets his feelings hurt, and has the time (in the middle of NFL training camp) to pester a blogger using his "likeness", well, there is just no sympathy for the man.

The Croom Diaries was never even a parody of Coach Croom. It was simply a pen name. That was it. No one thought it was Sly himself. For the Walrus to even care about it is baffling. Why in WORLD would anyone want to be Coach Croom?

I will not be watching the "Storied" on this man. I will burn my "the only color that matters is maroon" shirt. This year I will celebrate 'No More Croom Day' on November 29th.

No comments:

Post a Comment